Here is a smattering of things I'm enjoying right now:
1. Music by Maeve Gilchrist. Who knew the harp could be so hip?
2. Embroidery for kids. This is a very simple, inexpensive craft that both of my kids enjoy. Aside from needing my assistance with the periodic rethreading of embroidery floss, the kids are quiet and independent as they stitch. What Mama doesn't love activities like that?
3. Apples. I have been eating at least one apple every day. The market is still offering quite a few varieties of local apples. I buy lots of kinds, stow them in the fridge, and surprise myself as I bite into a randomly chosen one - the flavors being so distinct. I like apples with cheese, apples and almond butter, apples cut into salad, and apple tarts.
4. The efforts of Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein. They made the documentary film The Business of Being Born , which explores the current status of birth in the United States. As a midwife, I have been discouraged by the continuing trend towards medicalized birth. Ricki and Abby's film, and the grassroots movement that has grown up around the film, are pressing the medical and lay communities into a frank discussion about birth. The New York Times just ran an article about the increase in homebirths in NYC, likely influenced by the film. I have a lot more to say about this issue, but for now you can check out the above links.
5. Going on walks - with my husband. Before kids, David and I used to walk together almost every day. Now-a-days, my walks are usually solitary or with the kids. I love walking with David. Conversation flows freely as we fall into step with each other. He is also a die-hard bushwhacker (this exciting word simply means to walk through the woods off the trail). We have discovered so many beautiful places together, simply by leaving the well-beaten path.